Friday, October 10, 2008

Body and soul

It's amazing how much physical well being can affect the mind and spirit. Or to say it in a simpler way: jet-lag stinks.

All yesterday I was just in a weird mood all day long. It didn't even dawn on me that I had only gotten 3.5 hours of sleep the night before. Even though I did get a lot of rest on my first night here, the second night I went to bed around 9:30 pm and then woke up at 1:00 am and just could not get back to sleep. I laid there for another 2.5 hours trying to get back to sleep and just couldn't. So, I got up and showered and went to Matins (which are at 4:15 am everyday), and was surprisingly awake for Matins (Lots of Latin chanted recto tono that early in the morning usually make for an epic struggle to overcome sleep, LOL).

But then after Prime, the body just began to weigh down the mind. It's probably best I hadn't realized I had only gotten 3.5 hours of sleep since I was helping with some chores around the monastery and even drove one of the monks to the train station (driving in Italy is so much fun!).

But, the good thing about being that tired is that once you do go to bed, the sandman doesn't take too long to visit. It also helped that I got a heater in the room to help stave off the dampness.

So, hopefully jet-lag is about ended.

Other than that, things are going well. The ordination day is tomorrow, so the last minute details will be frantically dealt with.

So, pray for my driving, and pray for Brother Benedict as the final countdown to his ordination begins.

In other news, I have gotten to have a few good liturgical discussions which have clarified some important points for me. These guys know their liturgy (both forms) so it is good to get some more "authoritative" perspective on things.

Pax et Bonum,

RS

No comments: