Friday, December 22, 2006

Church of Consumerism going strong.


Just a quick blog.

Today I had to go out and pay a few bills and run some errands. One of these took me by one of the local malls. Wow, I could not believe the traffic. I was amazed at how many people were out shopping. The traffic in this area around 3:30pm was worse than any normal day at rush hour.

I really was wondering why people put off their Christmas shopping until the week before Christmas, especially when it gets to be such a hassle. I mean, I always hear people talk about how they want to get their shopping done early so they can avoid the crowds.

But one other thing that got me thinking was that, if I weren't Christian, I would think Christmas is more of a pain than anything else. Yet, people will fight through all the hustle and bustle of this time of year.

Now, I do admit, a large part of the motivation for people is that they really do want to give something to their loved ones. Still, the holiday has become so commercialized, it really is pretty sickening. It is just a swirl of activity and a constant media blitz that basically appeals to our desire for more stuff. I know how easy it is while out shopping for gifts to not see a great sale on an item you want, and pick up a little something for yourself.


Oh well, just my two cents.

RS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, for what it's worth, we spend all of Advent considering what gifts would best suit our children during this season of love.

I tried to do early shopping, but the gift I bought then don't make any sense to give now.

Plus my 5 documentably all have a growth spurt right before Christmas and Easter.

What's worse, you can't hide anything in our little house, so gifts would be discovered if purchased to early. As it is, we're going to have to bolt the "workshop" door all day long tomorrow.

So... we just got home at this late hour from acquiring gifts that will be joyfully received, and chosen with careful consideration.

Am I whooped? You bet, but it's worth it to choose wisely.

Just another perspective.

Stephanie D.