Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Confession song?

Well, Linkin Park has a new album coming out. I've heard their first song from it, and although I find it pretty consistant sounding (it seems to have that "generic" Linkin Park sound), it has grown on me nonetheless.

I have been more impressed with Linkin Park than with most other bands. They don't have to use explicit lyrics and they tend to sing about more personal things that the everyday listener can relate to (they don't sing about sex, drugs, and rock and roll).

I get the impression that many people just kind of passed them off as just another "Nu Metal" act (ie, White boys mixing rock with some elements of rap and making a hybrid sound), but their sound has been a bit more original than most of the rock/rap crossovers I have heard (which is a lot), and their lyrics seem to have much more thought put into them IMHO.

I'm interested to see what this new album will be like. I do admit I am a bit weary of it. The album is called "Minutes to Midnight." From the title and the video of the first song, I fear they may be turning down an anti-war or liberal avenue. However, I think (and hope) that they may be more than just some politically driven band that record companies are pumping out out (a la Green Day). I am hoping that although they might have an anti-war aspect, it would be more along the lines of how anyone feels about war: that it is something that should be avoided, however, at times it might be necessary (something very well done in the movie "Jet Li's 'Fearless'". I don't think there is anyone in the U.S. who really wants war. Nobody who supports the war in Iraq really wants to it to be happening. However the more accurate question is: should we be over there? I'm not going to get into that discussion here, as it is off topic and certainly has many points on both sides of the issue.

Anyway, one thing that prompted this post was that as I was listening to their new song on the radio, I thought there has got to be someone out there who could make a video of this song focusing on the Sacrament of Confession. Maybe a video that follows three people who have obviously sinned in one way or another at the beginning, but who all go to confession, sincerely seeking Christ's mercy and their own conversion.

This is pretty ironic for me since I usually despise any type of making the Catholic faith seem "hip" or "cool" by mixing pop culture and the faith. Yet, I don't know why, this song just strikes me as being able to do that.

I'll let you be the judge.



RS

1 comment:

dadwithnoisykids said...

One thing, I don't know why...oh never mind. I put the videos on my blog. Muchas groovious!