Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Office Space quote

"We don't have a lot of time on this earth, we weren't meant to spend it this way. Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."
-Peter Gibbons, "Office Space"

Although not the most edifying of movies (rated R), this movie takes a great stab at the soft underbelly of corporate America. While it is meant to be a comedy, when I watched it, it was more like a documentary of what my job was like, working in an internal computer helpdesk for one of the world's largest fiancial corporations.

The similarities in this movie and my job were amazing. At one point I even screamed in horror out loud while watching the movie because one scene was shot right outside my company, so you could see it in the background. Not to mention I also had two co-workers who had just come in and they both had the same first name. We had the annoying sunshiny secretary, the office ladies man, and all the other stereotypes. (And I have always wanted to do that to a fax machine or printer! \o/)

But it should make people step back and look at the rat race our modern society has become. I live next to a rather ritzy part of town and it is really odd to see how people run themselves ragged to define themselves through their material possessions. When my friend and I are out driving, he will often see a porsche or a BMW M5 drive by and say "there goes a quarter of a house." It really does amaze me. I guess that is why I enjoy going into that part of town. I don't quite have the "look" of corporate America, ie cleanshaven, sculpted hair, fancy suit, fast car, etc.

I also despise "mission statements."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That movie was the perfect depiction of so many lives in corporate America. Most folks also have a tremendous urge to escape it and all the associated trapping. Unfortunately, the trapping have most people very trapped.

We're incredibly grateful my husband is no longer cubed. We have another friend who walked away from that life and now teaches history at community college.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Peace and grace,
S. Davenport

Al said...

It doesn't only apply to corporate America. I work at a college. & much of what it shows is just as true there, esp the headaches with technology.

My favorite scene is the 1 you have a picture of. Everytime I see it I can see myself as 1 of those with the baseball bat.