Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Next step at LHC successful.

Well, the proton beams are apparently working at the LHC.

Large Hadron Collider: subatomic particles complete first circuit

I had forgotten that those would be started early this morning until I noticed that even Google has LHC fever.


EDIT - you know, upon looking at the Google logo more and more here, it almost looks like Google is getting sucked into a black hole. LOL.

Actually it's not surprising Google is showing the LHC. Google was started at Stanford University, which is also home to one of the earliest "atom smashers." Their linear accelerator "discovered" many of the heaviest elements we know (by "discovered" I mean artificially created).

You can visit their website here:

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC)

Still, the main experiment at the LHC has not actually begun yet, ie the high energy collision of particles. That is expected to happen in about 30 days. That's when we'll see if anything "bad" happens or not.


It's funny, over a year ago when I jokingly posted on the LHC it used to be that if you searched for "large hadron collider end of the world" my blog would be on the front page of google. Now it looks like everyone is copying me. Remember, folks, you heard it here first.* And since I'll be in Italy when they start the high energy collisions, I'll try to let you know if I get sucked into a black hole or turn into a strangelet.

LOL.

*(I'm not predicting it, I'm just having fun with it.)

RS

No comments: